SNAP-8 peptide, also known as Acetyl Glutamyl Heptapeptide-1, is a hexapeptide Argireline elongation. SNAP-8, like other hexapeptide-based peptides, has a potent anti-wrinkling effect. The peptide can prevent the disruption of the lipid matrix’s perfect packing.
SNAP-8 peptide is distinct and preferable to Botulinum Toxin because it targets the wrinkling mechanism in a novel and distinct manner. Because of this effect, cosmetic companies incorporate SNAP-8 peptide into gels, serums, and emulsions to reduce wrinkles, fine lines, and deep lines around the eyes and on the forehead.
According to information obtained from the SNAP-8 peptide manufacturing process, the synthesis of SNAP-8 includes a final freeze-drying step. SNAP-8 powder is an octapeptide in powder form that can be dissolved in water to form a SNAP-8 solution—an aqueous solution containing 0.5 g/L of the powder version. If the temperature is below 40 degrees Celsius, this can be incorporated at the final stage of SNAP-8 peptide manufacturing.
SNAP-8 peptide solution concentration, 3 to 10% of the solution must be available in the final manufacturing process to achieve significant anti-wrinkle activity.
The Medical Benefits of SNAP-8 Peptide
Wrinkling on the skin is one of the most noticeable effects of aging on the human body. This occurs naturally over time and reflects historical, biochemical, or physical changes exacerbated by environmental exposure.
The constant pull of gravity, including the frequent and constant positional pull pressure on the skin of the face, can cause folds, furrows, or creases. These are due to the recurrent contraction of facial expression muscles.
- The Effects of SNAP-8 peptide on Muscle Contraction: Muscle contraction occurs following the release of neurotransmitters from vesicles. The SNARE complex is required for muscle contraction because it acts as a cellular hook, capturing vesicles and fusing them with the membrane to allow neurotransmitters to be released. Wrinkling occurs when muscles contract repeatedly. SNAP-8 peptide destabilizes the SNARE complex’s functions, causing vesicles to stop producing neurotransmitters efficiently and reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- SNAP-8 peptide also inhibits catecholamine release, resulting in the reduction of existing facial lines and wrinkles. Catecholamine inhibition also affects the stabilization process in muscle contraction regulation by activating the Ca2+ ion.
- SNAP-8 peptide promotes collagen production and release that strengthens the skin and makes it resistant to wrinkles and fine lines.
- SNAP-8 peptide acts as a muscle contraction inhibitor, allowing muscles to achieve high homeostasis levels.
- SNAP-8 peptide reduces the severity of wrinkles around the eyes by about 63.13%. The peptide’s potency is 30% higher than its parent peptide, Argireline.
- Glutamate is a neurotransmitter that functions to excite neurons. The results show that combining SNAP-8 with Leuphasyl has a stronger inhibitory effect on glutamate than single peptides. Meanwhile, glutamate stimulates muscle contraction, resulting in wrinkles and fine lines. As a result of inhibiting glutamate release, wrinkles and fine lines are avoided.
- An in vivo anti-wrinkle test was performed on healthy volunteers. The researchers performed a skin topography analysis on 17 healthy female subjects to determine the efficacy of a cream containing 10% SNAP-8 solution, obtaining silicon imprints from the eye region. SNAP-8 peptide cream was applied twice daily, and silicon imprints were taken before and after each use. Following that, inference showed that wrinkle depths decreased after 28 days.
A similar experiment was performed on ten healthy female volunteers using a cream containing 10% Argireline solution. The results showed that placebo caused a -2.99 percent wrinkle reduction, Argireline caused a -27.05, and SNAP-8 peptide caused a -34.98 percent wrinkle reduction. Following these comparisons, 10% of SNAP-8 solutions achieved a maximum wrinkle reduction of -63.13%. This shows that SNAP-8 is a more effective wrinkle-reducing peptide.
The Side Effects of SNAP-8 Peptide
- In a study to determine the safety profile of SNAP-8, the results show that the peptide has no acute oral toxicity following administration to animal subjects.
- There were no side effects associated with SNAP-8 peptide administration after cosmetic use.
- In human dermal fibroblasts, cytotoxicity results were negative. Human epidermal keratinocytes show no cytotoxicity. There were no indications of genotoxicity or irritations.
Despite its powerful anti-wrinkle and anti-fine-line properties, SNAP-8 is a research peptide limited to educational and scientific purposes. Not for human consumption or use.
Disclaimer: The products mentioned are not for human or animal consumption. All the information shared in this article is for educational purposes only.